If you’re ready to start looking for your dream home, and you’ve narrowed your search to a few select neighborhoods, take these following tips to heart:
1. Types of homes. Choose the type of home that is the most appealing yet practical for you. In addition to single family homes, there are townhouses, multi-family homes and condominiums. Multi-family homes are often good for first time home buying because they can have rental income to help with their mortgage.
2. Budget and investment considerations. Find a balance between your needs and wants and your budget. Decide whether you should buy older home or a “fixer-upper”. In our area there are very few newly constructed homes to select from. If you know you will sell your home in the future, the following are best for re-sell value:
- Homes with 3 or more bedrooms; condos with 2 or more
- Homes with “curb appeal” always sell best
- Homes that are NOT unusual or unique and not the most expensive on the block
- Homes in top school districts
3. While house-hunting you will probably look at many homes for sale, so keep careful and complete notes and compare.
4. When you finally find your dream home, don’t hesitate! If you snooze, you may lose!